Tips For Saving Money At The Grocery Store
Food makes up 12% of the household budget. If the average
family spends $6,000 per year on food, what would it mean if
you could decrease that by just 10%? You could save $600 per
year! These tips can help you achieve those savings:
Have a plan
Take time to make a meal plan before you leave the house.
Create your meal plan using the sales from your local
grocery store. You can find the sales in the circular that
comes to your house once a week, or most grocery stores
publish their weekly sales online.
Bring a list
A list helps you save in many ways. When you have a list
that is organized by department, you can get through the
aisles quickly. This avoids backtracking and spending extra
time in the grocery store. Studies show that for every
minute over thirty (30) minutes you spend in the grocery
store, you spend $1 per minute. When you follow your
grocery list, you buy only what you need for the week. This
saves you money on a per week basis and also reduces food
waste at your house.
A grocery store is designed to encourage you to buy more.
Compare products by price per unit rather than list prices.
Eye level products can be more expensive than those on
higher or lower shelves. Endcaps are promotions that are
paid for by food manufacturers and may not be the best
Savings Made Simple
If following these tips sounds like a lot of work, you can try
the Meal Mate by Food.com meal planning software. Meal Mate
does the heavy lifting to give you:
- Grocery store savings at your store,
- An aisle by aisle printable grocery list,
- Personalized weekly meal plan.
Here's how the meal planning system works:
- Select your local grocery stores,
- Compare sales from the circulars at your favorite grocery stores,
- Choose what sale items sound good to you,
- Browse through thousands of easy recipes that include your favorite foods,
- Develop a meal plan around sale items,
- View other printable grocery coupons for items you may want,
- Print your grocery list or send it to your email account or iPhone.