Can I substitute sour cream for butter?

In a baking recipe? I want to make banana bread but don't have butter in the house. I want to keep it low fat and was wondering if I could substitute yogurt in its place.

by Lesley 91500 over 3 years ago

Comments

• Barb
    Barb 91496

I'd be a little worried about the yogurt making it a too runny, unless you strained it first. I'm just surprised that your recipe calls for butter. Most of the ones I've seen use oil, and I know you can substitute applesauce for that.

over 3 years ago
  • Sandy (Community Guide)
    Sandy (Community Guide) 48829

How much butter does it call for? You can use shortening and 2 eggs depending on your recipe. I use a different kind of shortening so i can get healthy fats. Ive never used yogurt in any baking recipes.

over 3 years ago
  • Donna (Food on the Table)
    Donna (Food on the Table) 86758

What kind of shortening do you use, Sandy? (That's something I only buy once a year for a particular recipe...)

over 3 years ago
  • Sandy (Community Guide)
    Sandy (Community Guide) 48829

Spectrum (brand) Organic All Vegetable Shortening. Ingredients are Mechanically processed organic palm oil. Its the best shortening ever! I use it only a few times a year. I researched palm oil just to make sure and the Store Owner where I used to grocery shop only sells the best (not expensive, she loves good healthy eating).

over 3 years ago
  • Melanie
    Melanie 80289

I bake blueberry mufin with yogurt it came out perfect.look for banana bread recipe using yogurt (it was the greek yogurt)

over 3 years ago
  • Lesley
    Lesley 91500

Thanks, everyone! I actually did the original recipe with yogurt, but since it was regular, not the Greek, I let it strain through my coffee filter for a few hours first. It actually seemed fine! (I've never tried straining the yogurt before--was surprised at how much fluid came out.)

over 3 years ago
  • Chef Heather (Food on the Table)
    Chef Heather (Food on the Table) 25081

@Lesley- Yes I use yogurt and sour cream ALL THE TIME when I bake! I love how it makes my cakes, breads, muffins, etc so moist and flavorful, as well as cut down on fat and calories. I will often use flavored yogurts to complement the favors in the things that I am baking (vanilla yogurt with vanilla cake, blueberry yogurt in blueberry muffins or strawberry yogurt in strawberry bread).

over 3 years ago

Oh and I agree with Barb's suggestion of using applesauce. I have a cake, apple muffin, and even an oatmeal cookie recipe that uses applesauce to add flavor and cut down on the amount of eggs and oil needed.

over 3 years ago
  • Phyllis
    Phyllis 52482

So how much yogurt did you use? The same as you would have for the butter? Like a cup for a cup?

over 3 years ago
  • Melanie
    Melanie 80289

It was a recipe I found that used yogurt,I belive it was the same amount.

over 3 years ago
  • Phyllis
    Phyllis 52482

Thanks!

over 3 years ago
  • Donna (Food on the Table)
    Donna (Food on the Table) 86758

I fool around with subbing sour cream and yogurt a lot when I bake, too (mostly because I never go shopping specifically to bake-it's always a last-minute accident!). This weekend I made some cranberry scones that were so good, but I had to substitute a mixture of sour cream and milk for the heavy cream the recipe called for. They turned out great!

over 3 years ago

Here is a favorite banana bread recipe of mine. It is a healthier banana bread recipe using whole wheat flour, ground oatmeal, and yogurt. http://www.foodonthetable.com/recipes/348986-peanut-butter-banana-bread

over 3 years ago