Can frozen meat be cooked in the crock-pot? I know this was possible with a pressure cooker, but I don't know how it translates to a crock-pot;. Thanks!

by Lesley 91500 over 3 years ago

Comments

• Barb
    Barb 91496

I've heard it can be, but if I use meat, I mostly buy it the same day, I used to have a pressure cooker and I know I made frozen ground beef that way with tomato sauce, but I really don't know much more about it. Sorry!

over 3 years ago
  • Elizabeth (Community Guide)
    Elizabeth (Community Guide) 3066

he Crock-pot website says:
    "Yes, but be sure to add at least 1 cup of warm liquid to the stoneware first. Do not preheat the unit. Cook recipes containing frozen meats an additional 4 to 6 hours on Low or 2 hours on High."

over 3 years ago
  • TRACY
    TRACY 636438

I do use frozen meat in my crock pot...I don't add the additional water to it though because water is added by the meat as it thaws in the crock pot,.

almost 3 years ago

I do NOT use frozen meat as it will not safely cook. Don't put frozen or partially thawed meat or poultry into a slow cooker — they take longer to get to 165°F, and can also cool everything in the slow cooker. That's like building a bacteria playground.
    Your slow cooker might take a while to reach 165°F, which is widely regarded as the temperature at which most illness-causing bacteria are killed. Also, if using roasts, one should cut it into bigger chunks so it can cook more evenly instead of one big chunk.

over 2 years ago
  • Crissa
    Crissa 822970

I have been putting frozen beef (roast) as well as boneless skinless breasts & thighs in my crock pot for over 10 yrs. Never has anyone gotten I'll because of it. it's a beautiful thing to whip up dinner plans last minute when nothing is thawed.......Poultry will be finished in approx. 4 hrs. I always start it around 12:30-1:30. delicious and super easy BBQ chicken. Beef/roast, I will usually start around 9:00am and come 5:00pm or so it's falling apart. Also, I have never cut up my roast. if you are using a sauce while cooking there is no need to add liquid. When Cooking beef I always add a bit of water, maybe a cup or less. Enjoy some delicious main meals out of your crock pot while taking care of other tasks through out your day

over 2 years ago
  • Lisa
    Lisa 735609

My crockpot tends to overcook. So, I find it better to use frozen meat & cook it the amount of time it says. If I use thawed meat, it will overcook/burn.

over 2 years ago
  • Crissa
    Crissa 822970

Mine too :0).......Truly, I cannot remember the last time I have used thawed out meat/poultry in my crock pot. I only use it about twice a month anyway.

over 2 years ago
  • Chef Leslie (Food on the Table)
    Chef Leslie (Food on the Table) 141524

Frozen meat may be used in a crock pot. However, you must be sure that it has not been time or temperature abused. Which means that the meat (if it's poultry) must reach a temperature of 165 degrees.

over 2 years ago
  • Christine B.
    Christine B. 45093

It's cool to see how other people use their crockpots. I was interested to read Crissa's post because she's listing general times for doing certain kinds of dishes from start to finish. I think that's where a lot of people get hung up and think that everything has to cook for eight hours.

over 2 years ago
  • Crissa
    Crissa 822970

So true Christine

over 2 years ago
  • Weezy
    Weezy 1208847

I use my crockpot about 4 to 5 days a week.I love using it.One I have for my meats and spaghetti sauces,and the other one I use to cook beans in.If I put the meat in my bean crockpot(it is newer than my other one),my meats does get a little bit over done.I find that it does cook faster than my older one.I even cook meatloaf in my older crockpot.

over 2 years ago
  • Donna (Food on the Table)
    Donna (Food on the Table) 86758

I get exactly what you're all saying--it definitely helps to hear from people who have experience making different dishes. Thanks to those who are contributing on this front!

over 2 years ago
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous 1568487

I use frozen meats all the time and have never had a problem with that.

almost 2 years ago
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous 1833319

I was interested to read Crissa's post because she's listing general times for doing certain kinds of dishes from start to finish.meat processing machine

over 1 year ago
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous 1834362

I think the pressure cooker is better.
    meat smoke machine
    http://www.foodmachinesale.com/product/Meat_Processing_Machine/meat-smok-machine.html

over 1 year ago